1. Elizabeth A. Martin. Oxford concise medical dictionary 7th edition; Oxford University press, New York USA, 2007: p393-94.
2. Merriam Webster. Merriam Webster’s medical dictionary New Ed. United States of America. 2006 September; depression. Available at http://www.merriamwebster.com/browse/medical/a.htm
3. Word press. What is depression. accessed on 2013 January 10. Available at http://www.what-is-depression.org
4. Swensrud depression prevention initiative. Supplemental handbook on depression. accessed on 2013 January 10 Available at; http://childrenshospital.org/clinicalservices/site3176/documents/supplemental-handbook-april8.pdf
5. Mayo clinic homepage. Major depression. Accessed on 2013 February 12. Available at
6. WebMD. What is Depression. Accessed on 2013 February 15. available at: http://www.m.webmd.com/depression/guide/what is dep
7. Sophie L.Rovner, C&EN Washington. Depression. Newsmagazine of the chemical world. 2004 February 9; 82(06) p33-40 available at: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8206/8206depression.html
8. Ravinder N bhalla, Sarah C Aronson. Depression. Updated 2006 October 30.available at; http//www.emedicine.com/MED/topic 532.htm
9. Marina Marcus, YasamyTaglu M, Ommeren Mark Van, Chisolm Dan, ShekharSaxena. Depression: A global Public Health Concern. WHO’s Department of Mental Health and substance Abuse report released on World Federation of Mental Health Day, 2012(cited 2012 October 10).
10. WHO Fact Sheet Depression around the world. Report released on World Federation of Mental Health Day, 2012 October 10.
11. OlabisiOdejide, JideMorakinyo. Mental health and primary care in Nigeria. 2003 October. 2(3):164-165. Available at http://www.ncbi.nim.gov/pmc/articles/pmc1525107
12. Leonard E egede, Charles Ellis. Diabetes and Depression: Global perspectives. USA. 2010 January 25; 87pp302-312.
13. Jenna Dixon. Improving the mental health treatment gap in Ghana. 2012 September 18 available at http://www.africaportal.org/article/2012/09/18 improving mental- health-treatment-gap-Ghana.
14. Kumar Parveen, Clark Michael. Clinical Medicine. 8th edition. London;2012.pg116
15. Ken Duckworth. Depression and chronic illness fact sheet (NAMI). Arlington USA. 2009 October.
16. Heidi Worley. Depression a leading contributor to Global Burden of disease. Washington DC, USA.2006 June. Available from http://www.prb.org/Articles/2006/Depressiona leading contributor to Global Burden of disease
17. Natasha Donnelly. The Origins of the social stigma associated with depression.USA 2011. Available at
http://www.suite101.com/Article/the origins of social stigma associated with depression-a331664
18. Kathleen M Griffiths, Helen Christensen, Anthony F form. Predictors of depression stigma.Australia.2008 April;8pp8-25 available at http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcpsychiatry/content/8
19. Professor Ian Anderson et al. Depression: The treatment and management of depression in Nigeria. United Kingdom. 2009 October. Available at
20. Nicole J Highet, Ian B Hickie, Tracey A Davenport. Monitoring awareness and attitudes to depression in Australia.2002 May 20; 176(10);63 available at
21. GertScheerder, Van Audenhove, Arensman E, Bernick B, Giuponni G, Horell AC et al. Community and Health professionals’ attitude towards Depression: A pilot study in Nine EAAD countries. 2010 March 10; 57pp387-401
available at http://www.isp.sagepub.com/content/57/41387
22. AfsinSagduyu, Erol Ozmen, Tamer Aker, Kultegin Oge, Sukru Uguz et al. Knowledge and attitudes of general practitioners about Depression. Turkey; 2008. Available at
23. AmareDeribew, MarkosTesfaye. Assessment of knowledge, attitude and practice of nursing staff towards mental health problems in Jimma zone South Western Ethopia.2004 February.
24. Joseph Mbatia, Ajitshah, Racheal Jenkins. Knowledge, attitude and practice pertaining to depression among primary health care workers in Tanzania. 2009 February 25. Available at http://www.ijmhs.com/content/3/1/5
25. James BO. Depression in Primary care. The Knowledge, attitude and practice of General Practitioners in Benin City, Nigeria. 2011 April 14; 54(1):55-60 available at
26. Oye Guruje . Community study of knowledge of and attitude to mental illness in Nigeria. 2004 September 30; 186pp436-441 available at http://www.bjp.rcpsych.org/content/186/5/436.full.pdf
27. Paul Corcoran. Mental Health in Ireland.Awareness and attitudes. 2007. Available at http://www.healthpromotion.ie/hp-files/docs/HSP00612.pdf
28. Erol Ozmen. Public attitudes to depression in Urban Turkey. 2004 June 22; 39:1010-1016
http://www.oge/k.net/Dosyadepo/public depression in urban Turkey
29. Antonia Barke, Seth Nyarko, DorotheeKlecha. The stigma of mental illness in Southern
Ghana. 2011 November; 46(11):1191-1202. Available at
30. Ganesh K. Knowledge and attitude to mental illness among the General Public of Southern India. 2011; 2:1 available at
31. Profile of Lagos Mainland local government.Information unit(Lagos Mainland Local
32. Afobali MO, Abioye-Kuteyi EA, Fatoye FO, Bello IS, Adewuya AO. Pattern of depression among patients in Nigerian family practice population. SA Fam pract 2008; 50(2):63a